Housing Resources

There are a number of housing options available to both current and former foster youth that are affordable and in some cases provide additional support. If youth are eligible and choose to stay in foster care beyond the age of 18 through the extended foster care program, they can remain with their foster parents, relatives or other caregivers. They may also be eligible to move into one of two options only available to non-minor dependents known as THP-Plus Foster Care (THP+FC) and Supervised Independent Living Placements (SILP).

If youth have already exited foster care and want to look for housing on their own, download the Foster Youths Guide to Housing to help get started or explore some of the programs for emancipated foster youth described below.

Youth in Foster Care or Extended Foster Care

Transitional Housing Placement Plus Foster Care (THP+ FC)
This program provides housing and case management support in either an independent living setting or with a “host” family while youth are enrolled in extended foster care. The cost of room and board is paid for and in some cases youth can receive a small stipend. Contact the youth’s County Social Worker for info.

Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP)
This placement allows a foster youth between ages 18-21 to live independently in a setting such as their own apartment, shared housing or a college dorm. He/she may be able to receive a payment amount of $859 directly (with an additional supplement for parenting youth) or a payee can be designated to receive the funds. The youth must have the necessary skills for independent living as determined by a readiness assessment and the housing unit must pass a health and safety inspection in order to be approved. Contact the youth’s County Social Worker for info.

Youth Who Have Exited Foster Care

Transitional Housing Placement Plus (THP-Plus)
Youth who aged out of foster care after the age of 18 and are under age 24 may be eligible for housing through the THP-Plus Program. This program provides up to 24 months of housing and support for former foster youth ages 18-24. In some counties youth attending school may be eligible for THP-Plus for an additional year. Youth live either in an independent living setting or with a “host” family. For a list of THP-Plus providers and county contacts Click Here.

College Dormitories
Click the link above for a list of community colleges with on-campus housing. All 23 CSU campuses and 10 UC campuses also have on-campus housing available. Some campus support programs assist foster youth to access year-round on-campus housing. Click here to search for programs that provide this service. For a helpful resource regarding roommates, download the Roomate Checklist. For information about laws that give foster youth priority for on-campus housing visit our Existing Laws and Regulations page.